Thursday, October 30, 2008

Blogsite that got hacked


Knowing that your website or blogsite being hacked is frustrating. Many got victimized by hackers and most of them are manipulating your codes while you are asleep. How did these scumbags got into your blogsite in the first place? You did not give out your password to someone but still someone got the access. Sounds scary isn't it but I was told that wordpress 2.3 and lower are more vulnerable to these attacks. I was a victim myself and it drove me crazy. I pulled out all my web sites and moved it over to one of the top 5 web hosting providers as reviewed online. Everything is gone and I can't even login and as if my contents have malware or virus on it. I have to start by blogs from square one and I have to invest my time and resources to make things back to normal again.

- I did my own research and found out that hackers can use your themes to embed some codes into your site.

- If you are a blog traveler, be careful in using those WIFI access because they are not secured. They can steal your "password" and once they succeed, they will Rule your site. It is suggested that you change your passwords right away.

- Always backup your XML file often depending on how frequest you update your site, in case something happens your posts are saved.

- Always delete comments and extra posts that are irrelevant, malicious and suspicious.

- Check with google if you have a warning that your site is having bad contents, spreading malwares or spywares

- Activate your Akismet plugin. Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not.

- Update to the latest version of wordpress as new updates and patches were introduced to increase security and vulnerability to attacks.

- Do your homework by researching online and find out some fixes by website gurus about preventing hackers to create havoc to your site.